Friday, March 25, 2011

A Savior for Japan


My Aunt Mary is about to move into her new home – the one that Jesus has been building and decorating just for her. The one that her husband, daughter, and two baby boys are already enjoying. Last night, I got to hold her hand, kiss her on the cheek, and tell how how much I’ve always loved her. I got to tell her I’m a little bit envious that she’ll get to see Jesus before me. She said that she can’t wait to tell Him thank you for dying for her sins.

Probably sometime this week, my brother and I will have the special honor of singing “My Savior First of All” at her Homegoing Celebration. I never would’ve dreamed that my impromptu trip to the U.S. would allow me these sacred privileges.

Aunt Mary’s living room is filled with family and faith. She is surrounded by love and the anticipation of a joy like she’s never known. Her family grieves with the biblical brand of hope – an optimistic faith and confidence.

My friends who have visited the evacuation centers in Japan say that they are filled with people who sit in stunned silence. Their expressions are described as “vacant” and “hopeless”. One survivor said he had lost everything – his family, his home, and his business. He escaped with only his life, and he’s not sure if that’s a good thing or not.

The 10,066 bodies that have been found are being buried in mass graves with minimal ceremony and absolutely no words of hope. The 17,443 people who are officially listed as missing may never get any ceremony at all.

In Japan last week, a Tokyo firefighter named Sato was called upon to enter the radiation zone at the Fukushima Nuclear Power Plant. He and his family knew that his life would be in serious danger, but his wife told him to “Go. Be a savior for Japan.” He and the other heroes at the site are risking their lives to save their families and their nation.

Japan really does need a savior. Not just from physical danger and the threat of nuclear disaster, but from sin, hopelessness, and despair. They need my Aunt Mary’s Savior.

When my lifework is ended, and I cross the swelling tide,

When the bright and glorious morning I shall see;

I shall know my Redeemer when I reach the other side,

And His smile will be the first to welcome me.


I shall know Him, I shall know Him,

And redeemed by His side I shall stand,

I shall know Him, I shall know Him,

By the print of the nails in His hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment